Stories that are read aloud to children can be tremendously exciting or appallingly dull. To make sure your readalouds instill a love of reading, here are just a few tips.
1. Choose stories that you like too. Good children’s literature appeals also to adults.
2. Find a place free of distractions—no noise from TV or radio, no people talking or running in and out.
3. Take your time. Give the words a chance to sink in. Give the child time to examine the pictures and to create mental pictures of their own—to use their imagination.
4. Use lots of expression. Try to get across the feelings the author has put in the words.
5. Create special voices for the characters.